Though this concept rings true for most of my crafty and artistic endeavors, this is explains exactly my relationship with embroidery. To be frank, I print out coloring book drawings, car decals, and whatever outlines Google Images can give me for my embroidery patterns. But the embroidery choices I make--the stitches, the colors, the textures--that is the part that is my own, that is the part that is art. And this is what I am so excited to show you, one of my most advanced projects to date.
The motivation for starting this project was none other than that I felt my freshman dorm room lacked sufficient wall decor. As the crafting person I am, I value the handmade variety of wall hangings most, so off I go to make one good enough for the likes of my sophomore year dorm room
Although my attempt to produce a wall hanging my freshman year fell through, sophomore year is a whole new cannoli. What better time to indulge (read: talk more about it)?
Embroidery generally isn't a medium that I excel at. Make no mistake--I am most excellent at coloring between the lines with thread, which is exactly what embroidery is. However, it takes a while and is much less exciting than knitting for me. Yet in summer, when knitting is wholly impractical in my mind, embroidery is perfect when traveling for a month straight. It's portable, it's compact, and it's highly conducive to TV sports-related multitasking (Women's World Cup and embroidery? Oh yeah!) And that's exactly how 90% of this embroidery was completed, for when I got home, the remaining 10% took as many days to get around to as the 90% of it done in Canada and Hawaii.
|Beach Sunset completed in Montreal and Quebec City|
|Moorish Idol Fish completed in Honolulu and Palo Alto|
|Honu completed in Quebec City, Vancouver, and several airplane rides|
I compiled the embroidered pieces together with a turquoise marble stash fabric and a solid unifying yellow as the binding (also stash). Another new part of this project for me is the quilt sleeve that I added. The sewing part always seems to take longer than I expect, but I'm very happy with the result! Stay tuned for the image of it hanging in my dorm room--I'm going back to school in less than a week!