February 20, 2014

Thermal Headband

Back in December when it was actually cold enough to be, like, winter, I noticed that some of my peers were wearing thermal headbands to stay warm. This was during that week where a sweater and Uggs just weren't quite enough for us hard-core winter Californians. Thermal headbands seemed like a great new project idea to me, so I wandered around on Ravelry for a few minutes later that day. I subsequently found enough patterns to see that I was not the first person to think of making one of these (surprise)! 

One of my goals for this year is to get to know my cables better, so I decided to cable the headband. I came across this braided cable pattern, grabbed some yarn, and knit ferociously. The cables were not hard at all, but were very repetitive and frequent. I messed up a few times, but didn't rip it out because it was at least ten rows before I even noticed that I had erred, and I wanted to finish the project. This could be a great beginner cable project for the patient soul. 

Before Christmas, I had this cabled thermal headband ready to give my sister. I made it to match the hat I made her the year before (featured in next week's blog post!). Unfortunately, I made the headband just slightly too long, so for next time I would recommend making it on the small side so it can stretch to the right size.

Thermal Headband, December 2013.
Pattern: Braided Ear Warmer
Yarn: About half a skein (50 g) of Patons Classic Wool in "Birds of Paradise" 
I was going to make a few more headbands with increasingly difficult cables, but our spell of sub-40F weather subsided too quickly. So maybe I'll make a couple next year.

Stay tuned next for another original recipe on Sunday night!

Happy Crafting,
--Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment