January 12, 2013

Winter 2013 Earring Collection

Happy 2013, all. Hope you all are getting used to that new number you have to write with the date. I know I still need a little more time getting used to it. 

Since recently piercing my ears about two months ago, I have really been into making my own earrings. I mean, I was into it beforehand, too, but now that I don't have to give them all away or turn them into painful clip-ons, I'm even more into it. 


At the beginning, I was expecting to have severe metal allergies and only be able to wear surgical steel like my mother, but at this point in time, I'm not so sure. I've done a little bit of experimenting with the cheaper hooks and after a few months, I am at the dramatic level of... inconclusive. 


So, most of these hooks are surgical steel or hypoallergenic titanium. If otherwise noted, they are just base metal. 


Here are some photos of the earrings I made last year before I had them pierced (I have given them away to a variety of friends). All the the hooks are base metal.


And yes, the pictures are of me, in case you had that burning question in your head.
Made in July 2012.
Made in July 2012.
Made in June 2012.

I have made quite a few more since November. Here is my current collection of hand-made and designed earrings.
Made on 1/10/13. Titanium Hook.
Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Made on 1/10/13. Base Hook colored Gold.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.




Completed on 12/16/12. Surgical Steel Hook.


Made in November 2012. Surgical Steel Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Made Yesterday, 1/11/13. Base Metal Hook Colored Gold. 


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.


Completed on 12/16/12. Surgical Steel Hook.


Completed on 12/16/12. Surgical Steel Hook.




Completed on 12/25/12. Titanium Hook.
Of course, I do have a few regular machine-made earrings (mostly studs), but the hand-made ones are the most fun! I have also turned some store-bought earrings into ones with hypoallergenic hooks just to be safe.

This by no means is the end to my jewelry making! I expect to make much more. Comment if you have special ideas!

I also plan to make a tutorial on how to make these at some point, along with all my other plans. Stay tuned!

--Elizabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment